Opening your fridge and being welcomed by some fresh and delicious delights is a daily joy; but what if some of these foods in your refrigerator could actually be turning toxic? Let's discuss about the hidden dangers of refrigerating those seemingly harmless leftover meals and ingredients.Dimple Jangda, an Ayurveda and gut health doctor shared on Instagram, four food items that can become toxic when stored in the refrigerator. They were rice, ginger, garlic and onions. Here's why.


Storing garlic in the refrigerator can promote the growth of mold which produces harmful toxins. Eating moldy garlic may result in digestive problems, nausea, stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory problems, and liver damage. It's best to store garlic unpeeled at room temperature.


Ginger starts to catch mold quickly when you refrigerate it, and that has been linked with kidney and liver failures. Fresh ginger can be stored at room temperature for a short time or refrigerated in an airtight container for longer storage.


So many people leave half-cut onion in the fridge which is very unhealthy for later consumption. Keeping half-cut onion in the fridge may increase their starch content which is risky for both the kidney and the pancreas.


Storing cooked rice in the fridge can create a favorable environment for the growth of bacteria which produces toxins that lead to food poisoning. Consuming this type of rice causes diarrhea, vomiting and stomach cramps. Rice should not be kept in the refrigerator for more than 24 hours.

The World Health Organisation warns against eating moldy food since they have mycotoxins that can cause nausea, cramping, and vomiting. So, before you take another bite of that meal, or use refrigerated ingredients to cook your favorite meal, make sure is toxins free.

You’ve successfully subscribed to FabAfriq Magazine
Welcome back! You’ve successfully signed in.
Great! You’ve successfully signed up.
Your link has expired
Success! Check your email for magic link to sign-in.